Google+

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Aldi vs Napolina


I'm continuing with my swap and save challenge for Aldi.  Today we put peeled plum tomatoes to the test, comparing brand leader Napolina against Aldi's Sweet Harvest.  Both tins came with a ring pull lid to open them, the ingredients list only had a 1% difference in the proportion of tomatoes to juice and both were a product of Italy.

The tomatoes inside were all whole.  The Napolina had seven smaller tomatoes whereas Aldi's had five bigger ones.  The only other discernible difference was that the Napolina tomatoes were a slightly redder colour. There was also one piece of skin in the Aldi one, but that is quite a common occurrence in tinned tomatoes and I just took it out...no big deal.  I mushed the tomatoes up to use in my dinner and both looked the same.  I tasted a spoonful of each and there was no difference (I'm not keen on tomatoes unless they are cooked into a meal, but they both tasted OK.)

Identical Tins

Aldi
Napolina

Aldi
Napolina
I used both tins in tonight's dinner (Quorn fillets in tomato and mushroom sauce served with pasta).  The difference in the two products is negligible and once cooked...they're the same.  So again, the cheaper alternative has measured up well against the more expensive brand leader!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...