Google+

Friday, 25 February 2011

The Great Fruit Shoot Debate

When Slummy Single Mummy started the debate about Fruit Shoots I felt inclined to pipe up my two penneth worth.  The suggestion is that these plastic bottles of fruity beverage are some how the work of the Devil himself.  Our children are being corrrupted and ruined by their very consumption.

When I hear this sort of twaddle, I wonder how my own five children have coped being raised by a mother with such a lax, devil may care attitude.   In the eyes of the militant, parenting gestapo I must be scum.

My kids have chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, Cheesestrings and Fruit Shoots.  They have tomato ketchup on their dinner and they enjoy Wotsits as a snack. I am not ashamed of this at all, because they also love fruit, they eat all their vegetables because they like them and they happily consume wholegrains and pulses as part of their vegetarian diet.

The most important thing I think, is to give your children the tools to be self-regulating as they get older and more independent.  Making certain foods or drinks off limits just serves to give them a mystique which makes them more attractive and more sought after.  I have seen the parents who forbid their children to touch tomato sauce at home, go completely crazy for the sachets of condiments at Whacky Warehouse birthday parties.  While my kids take such things with a pinch of proverbial salt, the children who know they are getting contraband end up over consuming and running up the walls.

My children, aged between 18 months and 22 years, have never had restrictions put upon them.  Everything in moderation is my motto (although sometimes excess can be fun!)  To date, none of my kids have fillings in their teeth.  None of them suffer from any allergies or dietary problems.  There is no history of hyperactivity or  problems with attention.  They are all been above average developmentally whilst growing up.  The older ones have all done extremely well at school.  They are well rounded, well balanced and great kids.

So how has my Extreme bad parenting affected them?  I'm yet to see any problems with my refusal to jump on the 'holier than though' parenting bandwagon.  Life is here to be lived.  We cannot cosset our kids and protect them from the evils of additives forever.  You can bet your bottom dollar that some of those kids who are only allowed pure boiled water now will hit the alcopops as soon as they hit their teens.  And they'll probably hit them harder than most, relishing in their newfound freedom of choice and potentially overdoing it like the kids at the Whacky Warehouse parties with the tomato sauce.

There are so many other things in this world to worry about, why on earth expend that much energy on a harmless soft drink, that comes in its own convenient sports topped bottle for easy drinking when out and about!  They will remain on my shopping list (as long as they are on BOGOF or half price....My laxness has a price limit you know!)
So shoot me!!

18 comments:

  1. yaaay! well said! My kids have a fruit shoot every day in their lunchbox as I'm sick of all the sports bottles leaking & making their sandwiches soggy! I think some mums feel under pressure from their 'friends' not to give their kids anything 'bad' and aren't strong enough to stand up to them - in my opinion friends like that we can all do without!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. All in moderation and then they will be less inclined to beg for it. I also agree with the allergy issue, you need to let kids be exposed to things and they are less likely to have allergies.

    My OH loves crisps, meaning Jared (aged 3) loves them too. So he has all sorts of different crisps as snacks.

    Fruit shoots are great for trips out and they don't leak in my bag Hooray!

    And 3 year olds fave meal is fish fingers and smiley faces out the oven with ketchup :)

    I eat a lot of junk, so how can I expect my 3 year old to eat much better. Although I do buy him fruit & veg too, he loves grapes, apples, strawberries and raisins & frozen peas!!1 All of the fruit & veg that I hardly touch, so its not all bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy

    I am very very much a each to their own person and love lentils as much as McDonalds. I always do healthy and "junk" alongside each other BUT I am very against Fruit Shoots and I am disgusted that Robinsons market them to young children without being responsible about the ingredients - I haven't clicked on Slummy Single Mummy yet, but what I hate about them is the ingredient: aspartame. It has been proven to be notoriously bad for all sorts of reasons and has no place being in a children's drink. It's not the equivalent of cheesy straws or tomato ketchup - honest.

    And I think the product says more about the out of order manufacturers than the Mums.

    Sorry I have to disagree on this one but I haven't read the post yet.

    Will do now.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read her post and still against them. A year ago I even told my sister in law to stop buying them for her kids (and she did).

    I am anti.

    Liska x

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.rense.com/general53/ms.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy I have to appauld your sentiments. Moderation is the key. You probably know by now I have massive food issues and I hope not to pass these one to my kids and the main thing I have gained from normal eaters is to ensure nothing is contraband and to allow everything in moderation.

    It is the yoghurt debate that really gets my goat when people start telling me how much sugar is in a petit filou, yes I reply I know, the same amount as that Organiz 100% fruit pot you are feeding your kid!

    My husband is veyr agianst sweetners, he always says they are more evil than sugar and can have affect on people who are susceptable to them (such as him) so I'll have a read of Liska's link.

    Cheers Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely worse than sugar x

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://infertility-fertility.blogspot.com/2009/07/aspartame-fertility-and-pregnancy.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what an interesting debate. Well I sometimes (not all the time but not never) give Youngling a fruitshoot (often the H20 version) he seems to enjoy it and I think all in moderation is ok. One could argue that ALL sweets shouldnt be marketed to young children and that ALL processed foods for adults and children shouldnt be marketed so cheaply for convenience. Perhaps we should all have a macrobiotic diet to be the perfect parent or person but does it really matter THAT much? Surely we should concentrate on our family members who have just had 14 hour surgery to remove lung cancer? Or helping the local church build a new sunday school for the children who attend? All valid points of view and all reasoably veesable in themselves. Do what makes you and your family happy as long as you arent hurting anyone else in the process :-) xx
    (PS; yes those examples are happening to me and my family byt he way)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree with everything that Liska said...Sugar is a natural product...everything in moderation is fine, but anything with Asp should be banned in kids.

    Nothing to do with being a mumsnetter either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.momblognetwork.com/aspartame-aka-chemical-poison

    This says it all if you have the patience to read the whole blog post, which I did.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The counter argument:
    http://www.aspartame.org/

    In a perfect world I'd give my children a perfect macrobiotic diet, I'd avoid contact with plastics, pollution, mobile phone radiation etc. But I am a realist. There are so many health scares in the media all the time. We have to make rational, balanced decisions that we, as parents, can live with. I am tee total, don't consume caffeine and I'm a vegetarian. I'm not blase about what we eat, but I simply do not buy into the scare- mongering. I wouldn't spoonfeed artificial additives to my kids, but I don't have a problem with moderate consumption within an otherwise healthy diet.
    @Kate...thanks for your comment...it puts things into perspective. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi

    I also saw that web site when I was searching, but of course something that's called aspartame.org is gonna be "pro".

    That's like going to a dairy farmer and asking what he thinks about milk intolerance.

    Just like you have reasons for not eating meat, I have reasons to believe that the stuff about aspartame is true. I do believe in it contributing to MS, and I do believe it contributes to infertility.

    A lot of us avoid the sugar free drinks that contain it, and I just think it is irresponsible of Robinsons to put it in there that's all.

    I'd say it is more harmful than caffeine to be honest.

    We can't win you over can we?

    Liska x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for caring Liska. I wish companies did use natural ingredients instead of chemicals...but as it all boils down to profit margins, it will never change. For a while I only bought Rock's organic squashes and wouldn't do chemical additives at all. So I've been on both sides of the fence. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hehe, glad to have inspired you!

    I think you're quite right that it's about equipping our kids with the skills to make the right choices. I feel this more and more as my children get older. I can't tell my 15 year old not to do something without making it seem incredibly exciting, all I can do is give her the support and education she needs to decide for herself what is the right and wrong thing to do.

    That's the theory at least!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for caring Liska. I wish companies did use natural ingredients instead of chemicals...but as it all boils down to profit margins, it will never change. For a while I only bought Rock's organic squashes and wouldn't do chemical additives at all. So I've been on both sides of the fence. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  17. yaaay! well said! My kids have a fruit shoot every day in their lunchbox as I'm sick of all the sports bottles leaking & making their sandwiches soggy! I think some mums feel under pressure from their 'friends' not to give their kids anything 'bad' and aren't strong enough to stand up to them - in my opinion friends like that we can all do without!
    x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...