Google+

Monday, 20 June 2011

Mumentum...Throwing the Scales Away



This week I'm taking advice from Sandra at Thinking Slimmer.  I am throwing out the scales.  I know from experience that weight loss is never linear.  The journey to being slimmer comes with sheer drops which are great but also plateaus where the weight does not shift.  Plateauing can be demoralising.  After a week of being virtuous to find that I've lost no weight can be enough to send me to the biscuit tin.  My efforts can be completely ruined after being taunted by the unwavering needle of the bathroom scales.  Being obsessed by the number of pounds lost can definitely cloud my focus.  Weight loss has to be seen as a long term effort, not a quick fix.  Weight can fluctuate from hour to hour depending on whether you have been to toilet, had a big drink or just eaten.  It can change from morning to night.  It definitely changes across the course of the month with water retention.  So relying so heavily on weighing in, can lead to demoralisation and wanting to just give up when the scales don't seem to reward your week's dieting.

I am the sort of dieter who jumps on the scales everyday searching for the elusive lost pound.  If I felt I had been particularly good I would be gutted if the scales stayed the same.  It would really put a cloud over my day.  I'd wonder why I was bothering if I wasn't getting the results.

I had brilliant weight loss for my first two weeks since joining in with mumentum.  This really showed me how my gluttony was responsible for a good stone of my excess weight.  Stopping the greed is a quick fix to shedding those pounds.  However there is no way I can sustain weight loss like that...it would be unhealthy anyway.  The weight loss has to slow down, but I know from experience that the slow, steady decrease in weight frustrates me.  That frustration can really scupper me!  I've done it so many times in the past.

So instead of falling prey to something that I know will knock me off my path to a slimmer me, I'm going to stay away from weighing myself every week.  So I can't tell you whether I've lost weight or not.  But I can report that my size 12 jeans do up without a struggle...so that's got to be good right?

I can say that I'm not snacking between meals and I haven't touched chocolate at all.  I am eating the same as the family, which means my meals are not very low calorie.  So if I notice no changes I can up the ante by making diet dinners for myself...so that is a weapon in my arsenal!  Fingers crossed though things will keep going in the right direction.

I hope everyone else is doing well this week and that you are all feeling good about yourselves!!  We will get there ladies!!

12 comments:

  1. Well done Wendy, It sounds as though Thinking Slimmer really works. I cant wait to get going with mine. I cannot weigh myself as I will keep going until it says a very unhealthy 8 1/2 stone. I know that is underweight but that is the weight I was happiest at. Instead I have measured myself and am using clothes to tell if I have lost weight. Keep going the way you are because it is obviously working :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. jessies_online20 June 2011 at 18:08

    I am so glad I read this Wendy as I'm having one of those plateau weeks & I have been holding off writing my post waiting for my body to miraculously lose 2lbs!! You have spurred me on to attempt to write mine tonight now! Well done at getting into those size 12's!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a great decision, I don't have scales at home so am not tempted to jump on and off them, which is a good thing.

    For now though as part of my slimming world diet I have to get weighed each week. I am happy to do this because I have a fair amount of weight to lose and if I stick to the plan I should have a weight loss each week or at least stay the same.

    I think once you are at a weight you are happy with, it is sensible to use your clothes as a guide rather than the scales.

    Hope you have another great week, the slimpods sound fab! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had scales i always go by dress size and how I feel otherwise I think it can become obsessive. Plus weight gain for one day to the next is not accurate monitoring. Good for you. the slimpods seem to be really working. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more. I go more by tight or loose clothes. Weight fluctuates too much (for natural reasons) without obsessing over ever pound up and down.

    Well done you on foreseeing what might scupper you. Shows you are taking this really seriously.

    We are learning so so much from each other.

    On a separate note I have just noticed you are 140 on Tots100 (badge is sitting next to my comments box as I type). Is that the highest you've been to date? Not long till you'll be in the top 100.

    Well done,
    Liska xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspired me last week and I downloaded a slimpod. Hope it works for me! Throwing out the scales is a great idea. Once you lost the big loses in the first few weeks it always slows and can be demoralising. Well done on the jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have ditched the scales, but I do have a monthly weigh in with my doctor. I get so frustrated when the scales don't budge.

    I can't wait for the day I can get a pair of size 12 jeans on!!

    Keep up the good work x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done love, the scales are best in the bin if you can't help yourself. I rarely weigh nowadays as I know how it messes with my head.

    Excellent that you are eating with the family, I hope the loss still occurs for you, it will be great to trim up whilst you still enjoy your food.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mummyandthebeastie21 June 2011 at 16:11

    I agree the scales are very deceiving and can become obsessive. Much better to be guided my clothes etc! Thinking Slimmer sounds great :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear. I went out and bought new scales. I'm terrible I know. Sometimes I'll get on the scales several times a day. Especially on a Wednesday when I go to be weighed at Slimming World and I want to have some clue as to how I will have done. I am slightly obsessing over a figure at the minute, but if I don't go by scales I have such warped idea of what I look like I have no idea whether I'm slimmer or not!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Theramblingpages21 June 2011 at 22:54

    I have just dug my scales out as well but did worry I might become slightly obsessed, so maybe I'll just stick them back in the back of the wardrobe. I would say that jean doing up without a struggle is a definite change so you should feel good. Looking forwards to joining in this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Couldn't agree more! The scales mean nothing - standing on every day, crossing your fingers & obsessing achieves nothing positive at all :(
    Feeling strong, fit & good in your clothes mean so much more than a number. Never weigh yourself more than once every 2 weeks - or even better, get rid of the scales altogether! Good luck & stick with it, yes you will get there!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...