Google+

Friday 22 November 2013

Homemade Choclate and Marshmallow Tea Cakes

When my mother in law visits from the Isle of Man, she always makes a trip to our local garden centre which houses a lovely Lakeland shop.  During her last visit, she very kindly bought me back a present, a Lakeland Chocolate Tea Cakes Mould.  As my mum rates chocolate tea cakes among her favourite treats, I made a batch for her birthday this week.

The silicone mould makes six large tea cakes and it comes with a recipe.  I set to work to make the tea cakes for my mum's weekly visit (along with a birthday cake and also a birthday dinner, so I had my work cut out!)


To make the tea cakes you melt the chocolate to line the silicone moulds.  While it is setting you make the biscuits. When cool you coat them in more melted chocolate.  Then you make the marshmallow - this was my favourite part of the recipe.  The fluffy marshmallow was fabulous and would make an amazing topping and filling for a sponge cake, something I will be doing in the near future.  Here is the recipe.


Marshmallow Recipe

Ingredients

3 egg whites 
100g caster sugar
1 tablespoon of golden syrup
1/2 tablespoon of vanilla syrup

Method

Put the ingredients in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
Whisk until thick and stiff.


Lakeland


The marshmallow is then spooned into the chocolate shells and the chocolate covered biscuit is popped on top and sealed with more molten chocolate.

They worked really well although the chocolate wasn't completely shiny as it has some bloom appear on the surface.  But that didn't distract from the impressive end result.  I was very proud to serve up a homemade Chocolate and Marshmallow Tea Cake to my Mum!

The mould is £8.99 from Lakeland.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...