Google+

Monday 7 November 2011

Winter Worries

After all the mild weather we've been having, it was quite a shock waking up to a frosty, winter morning today.  The car windscreen needed scraping for the first time since last winter.  The gossamer spiders' webs looked beautiful, bejewelled with iciness. We could see our breathe hanging in the air.  There was at last a real sense that winter was looming.

I was glad that we had been shopping yesterday to buy scarves, hats, gloves and coats for the girls. Perfect timing!  All the recent news about the approaching cold fronts from Siberia, may actually prove to to true.  I just hope we are not thrown into the unbelievably, awful freezing conditions we had last winter.

Just in case, I've ordered snow socks for the front tyres of my car.  Last year I was resorted to tears more than once as my car slid across icy roads.  I hate feeling out of control!  So hopefully these will give me the bit of extra traction I need to keep my car going in the direction I want it to go.  I've also invested in my annual pair of fur lined boots to keep my feet cosy for the next few months.  I'm all prepared for what nature throws at us this year.

I'm trying to resist the urge to order 50kg rock salt.  There was a well timed leaflet pushed through the letterbox yesterday, clearly targeted at the worriers of the world like me!   I think my "be prepared" ethos may be getting out of hand.  I'll be ordering a snow plough next, if this obsession for coping with the winter continues to escalate.

Because I am so prepared, it probably means we will have a really mild winter.  It's usually the way.  If I stock up on Factor 50 sun cream, you can guarantee we won't have a good summer.  After buying new waterproofs for everyone for a weekend away, there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  It seems that whatever I prepare for, the opposite happens.  So, hopefully my investments for an Arctic winter will guarantee that it will be snow free. (With the concession of a glorious flurry for Christmas morning!) Time alone will tell!

In the meantime I will snuggle under my slanket (all you haters out there don't know what you are missing!), crack out my thermal vests and enjoy the latest Christmas offerings from Starbucks while I wait and see if my preparations have been made in vain!

Day 7 #NaBloPoMo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...