Google+

Thursday, 4 August 2011

When Life Throws a Curve Ball

I am a worrier, always have been, always will be.  Mostly, the worry is reserved for my children.  Even after my eldest two have left home, I constantly worry about them.  It doesn't stop.  Very rarely does this worrying extend to my husband.  He is my rock.  My hero.  He will be here by my side forever. No question.  What is there to worry about?

The belief that we will grow old together is set in stone.  It's our destiny.  It was always meant to be.  Perhaps I have taken that unshakable truth for granted, because right now my faith is being tested.  Just a tiny bit. It is only a slight niggle that is rocking the foundations of my world, but it is enough to make me stop and take stock of my life.

I know it's nothing and I'm worrying unnecessarily.  Ian is fine, I'm convinced of it.  But a routine doctor's appointment for a minor ailment lead to some routine tests which have resulted in the discovery of an anomaly.  This is now leading to a further battery of tests.  Ian has never been ill in all the time we've been together, apart from the occasional bout of man flu of course.  He isn't ill now, but the medical profession feel the need to probe and scan and test my husband.  It is a little scary even though I'm sure they are just taking precautions.

Hopefully these tests will highlight a whole host of illnesses that Ian hasn't got.  I'm sure it will put my mind at ease as the list of possible problems are dismissed leaving nothing but a clean bill of health.

But just having the ugly head of the prospect of illness raised in my marriage has shaken me.  Reminding me that every day is precious.  Reminding me to not take anything for granted.

When I was pregnant I had some medical problems.  A heart murmur was detected early in my pregnancy and my kidneys struggled to work properly.  But we weathered the storm together and after Freddy was born I recovered...no more babies for us though!  All our health worries have revolved around me, never Ian.

Maybe this reminder is a good thing, and when this is all over I will be holding onto my loved ones a little tighter, breathing in their scent a little deeper, telling them I love them even more than I do now.  I am so lucky and so blessed.  May I never forget that.

13 comments:

  1. even if something is brought up in these tests you have each other to bring each other through, but yes life is precious and we should take that little bit of time to be more thankful xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I really do hope that these tests come to nothing and your worries are set aside and you continue with your destiny. I'm sure they will.

    You're so right, life is so precious and I think we do sometimes take it for granted.

    Thinking of you. Here if you need me. I can always come visit you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you are going through a worrying time. Sending you tons of positive energy and hoping everything is fine. Sending you a Hug too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Wendy I know how you feel, Keani has just been diagnosed with a severe nut allergy so we are having to deal with that at the moment. Just makes you want to hold onto them tighter and never let go but also makes you gain perspective on life. I was the same with James when he had a few problems with his heart rate and had some tests done - I knew that it was unlikely there was anything wrong but it's the 'what ifs'. I'm sure Ian will be ok, sending lots of hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa. So sorry to hear about Keani. It's horrible when a loved one has a health problem. As you say it's the "what ifs" that make it so hard to deal with. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Heather,
    I'm such a control freak I hate it when something crops up that I have no control over! I'm sure he'll be OK...better to get these things checked out and dealt with. We so need to organise a get together, I'd love to see you and MC again! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your kind words. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wendy, what a worrying time. I'm sure the tests are just precautionary and I hope the results are good. I know how you feel, I worry a lot about my Dads health at the moment.

    Sending you lots of hugs and positive vibes

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Ian and poor you. Geeze will you tell me to shut up one day so you can tell me these things when I see you!? Sure it is them taking the opportunity to investigate whilst he has visited - let's face it men rarely go to the Doctors.... so they are probably just wanting to tick boxes. Love you guys and here for you both x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it all turns out to be nothing...fingers crossed & hope Ian's ok x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww honey, that is so hard when you are waiting on tests and the results. Fingers crossed everything is ok. You have a very strong and loving relationship which can get through anything hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can well understand that you are worried,of course you are, but I am praying hard every night that everything will be fine. Ian is such a lovely man and I am sure that
    everything will be alright, we just have to be positive and if prayers are anything t go by he will be O.K. I remember how worried I was about Dad when he had to go for various tests but thank God he was fine and I just feel sure that's how it will be for Ian.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...