Friday, 15 July 2011

Don't Judge Our Teens!

My Ella has just finished her first week of work experience at the local solicitor's office.  She is doing an amazing job.  I am so proud to see her walk into the reception every morning with such confidence and poise.  The staff that have worked with her have written such positive things about my "lovely, willing, friendly and enthusiastic girl".

In a society where teenagers are vilified, treated with suspicion and considered to be wannabe criminals with ASBO's, it's nice to be reminded that that stereotype is nothing more than a media hyped image, pertinent to only a minority of young people.  Most teenagers are hard working, ambitious and thoughtful.  They are the future of this country and fully deserve our respect and support.

I love parenting teens.  It is such an exciting adventure. There are challenges but if you keep the channels of communication open, it is an amazing time where you see glimpses of the adults they are fast becoming.  I love watching my older children's friendships, talents and personalities develop.  As they become more independent it is so rewarding.  Seeing them find their own way in life evokes such feelings of pride.

This post is dedicated to my teenage daughter. 

My beautiful, smiling baby who was never a day's trouble.  She was so easy and such a delight despite suffering ill health and worrying us so, so much!  She kept smiling throughout everything. 

My funny toddler was a ray of sunshine. 

My big school girl was finding her feet and proving to be a real little star!

My beautiful daughter!  My Ella x

Don't judge teenagers.  


  1. I have been dreading the teens, I only ever hear negative comments from parents of teens, so as a mum who's children are not there yet, this is an inspiring post! :)

  2. I love you Mum. (: Soooooooooo much. With sprinkles on top. <3

  3. Awww she is beauTiful like her mum. How wonderful that you get on so well during the teenage years. Lovely post x

  4. jessies_online16 July 2011 at 09:28

    you have lovely kids Wendy, a great reflection on how much of a good parent you are - can I please send mine to you when they become teenagers!!

  5. Oh this resonated with me so strongly. I've written a very heartfelt post on Maternity Matters about this very subject.
    I've had the joy of being made a grandma by my eighteen( now nineteen) year old daughter, but she's far from a stereotype, trust me.

  6. Aw, that's such a wonderful post. And well done to your Ella! What an OUTSTANDING name! ;)


  7. I feel very honoured to be Ella's NaNa - she is such a beautiful, helpful, talented young lady. I am so pleased that Ella's first week at work experience went so well. Ella seems to have an inner beauty that never ceases to amaze me and her Grandad and we love her to bits.

  8. I just read your post and my heart breaks for your daughter at the way she was treated. I had my first son at 19 and I too was single at the hands of a cheating boyfriend. When I had my pregnancy confirmed the woman at the Health Centre asked me when I wanted to book my abortion. I said I was keeping my baby and she wrote 'will not consider options' on my notes. She seemed disgusted with me. Following his birth I registered my son at the hospital and saw a big 's' written on my notes. I asked what it meant to be told in a derogatory manner that it was because I was single and it was to stop me trying to falsely name a father on the birth certificate. My baby was registered as 'father unknown' and I felt so ashamed. This was in 1988, it sadly seems like things haven't really improved at all for young mums. Well done to your daughter...she sounds wonderful! xxx

  9. Eleanorhoolasage4 November 2011 at 23:00

    Haha I totally agree with this :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...