Google+

Monday 4 February 2013

Windows into Lives

The blogging community is a wonderful place.  An open and honest microcosm of society, where we all get to share our experiences with a virtual window into each others' lives.  Over the years I have been blogging I have shared the highs and lows of my life with countless others, and in return have read intimate details about other families.  We have a unique insight into each others' realities, knowing more about each other than most people in real life do.  Thoughts, hopes, dreams and fears are shared candidly. I have celebrated triumphs, laughed at tales of family antics, followed pregnancies, waited anxiously for news of births, marvelled at people's achievements and mourned losses.  I've experienced emotions as genuine and as heartfelt as any I have felt for friends in the 'real world'.

We have shared the darkest and the brightest moments of our lives across social media.  We give and receive support and regularly witness the outpouring of virtual love and sometimes derision when situations have arisen.  We empathise, sympathise and feel for each other.  This community is an extension of our real lives, a powerful force and a privilege to be a part of.

I don't have many people in my 'real world' who I can talk to, confide in, share my thoughts and feelings with.  I value this virtual community all the more for the outlet it provides me, and so many others, with.  An outlet to tell our stories.

News this weekend of the death of a beautiful 9 month old baby girl has sent shockwaves through this community.  A baby who, although we had never met, we 'knew'.  We knew her smile, we knew her playful nature and we knew the love lavished on her by her family.  We have followed the life of this child from the moment we knew her mother was pregnant.  We shared the emotions.  We followed her journey.  Now we mourn her loss.  We share the pain. My heart breaks for her family.  When news like this hits you, it puts everything into perspective.

In a community where the written word is everything, words are truly not enough at this time.  There simply are no words.

candle, loss
RIP Matilda Mae








LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...