Google+

Wednesday, 21 December 2016

Keeping Pets Safe this Christmas

Some lucky cats and dogs have been treated to one night in ‘Pet Heaven’ by Vets Now, the out-of-hours emergency vet provider.  The fun experience was created to help raise awareness of the increased danger pets face at Christmas and you can watch the cute videos of the cats at a Catnip Bar and the dogs enjoying a Dog's Dinner!

        


Vets Now sees a 41% increase in pet emergencies during the holidays, however half of all pet owners don’t have an emergency plan and wouldn’t know what to do if their pet fell ill over Christmas.

According to a survey for Vets Now, a third of pet owners will experience an emergency over Christmas, with many cases caused by pets eating novelty festive items or harmful foods. 5.5 million pet owners will unknowingly feed their pets something dangerous this year and 90% of pet poisonings will happen in the home. It is important for pet owners to know how to keep their furry friends safe.

Vets Now has created an emergency pet plan which owners can download for FREE to ensure heaven stays a place on earth for their furry friends.: www.vets-now.com/petemergency


The top ten festive hazards for your pets at Christmas:

1. Chocolate - chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, which is severely poisonous to cats and dogs.
2. Mince Pies and Christmas Puddings - all grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic to dogs.
3. Blue Cheese - contains a substance called Roquefortine C which dogs are extremely sensitive to.
4. Tinsel – dogs eat tinsel, which can cause dangerous blockages in the stomach.
5. Salt Dough Ornaments - the mix of flour and salt with water can cause a potentially fatal salt toxicosis if ingested by any pet.
6. Poinsettia, Mistletoe and Ivy – are all mildly toxic to both cats and dogs.
7. Wrapping Paper - while toxicity is low, eating a large amount of paper could cause an obstruction in the stomach.
8. Snow Globes - imported versions can contain antifreeze, which can be fatal for a cat
9. Candles - can burn paws and curious noses. Tails can also knock candles over, which could cause a house fire.
10. Alcohol - can cause severe liver and brain damage. As little as one tablespoon can lead to serious problems for cats or dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...