To celebrate National Heart Month and raise awareness of the UK's biggest killer - heart disease - HEART UK and Flora ProActiv have teamed up for a hard hitting campaign, to bring the effects of cholesterol on the arteries to life. Dressed in yellow, actors disrupted the London underground for a day, blocking the escalators to demonstrate how cholesterol can block our arteries.
With over half the population of England having high cholesterol, HEART UK- The Cholesterol Charity - has partnered up with Flora ProActiv on a campaign to get adults to check their cholesterol levels for National Heart Month. High cholesterol is a major risk to heart disease as it contributes to the narrowing of vital arteries which can lead to a heart attack or stroke. There are no obvious signs or symptoms for high cholesterol and HEART UK and Flora ProActiv hope to prompt people to get their levels checked.
For most people, there are simple and effective ways to take positive steps to lowering cholesterol which includes changes to diet and lifestyle. Eating healthier, including super cholesterol busting food like plant sterols, and getting more active helps lower cholesterol and most people will see an effect in as little as 3 weeks.
Flora ProActiv challenged me to try a recipe from their website using their Flora ProActiv buttery spread. I chose a warming and comforting Winter Vegetable Lasagne. Packed full of delicious roasted vegetables and a creamy sauce, it is a delicious vegetarian meal that the family will love.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, peeled, cut into wedges
2 parsnips, peeled
1 sweet potato, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
1 red pepper, finely diced
400 gram canned chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp oregano or thyme
6 sheets lasagne sheets
25 grams Flora pro.activ buttery spread
25 grams plain flour
350 ml skimmed milk
55 grams cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 tsp English mustard
- Cut the parsnips, sweet potato, carrot and courgette into chunks and place in a roasting tin. Add the onions and pepper, drizzle with oil and roast in a preheated oven at 190˚C/180˚C Fan/Gas mark 5 for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked.
- When cooked, mix with the tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli powder and herbs.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce by placing the Flora ProActiv Buttery spread and flour into a saucepan. Add the skimmed milk gradually, constantly stirring over a moderate heat. Bring to the boil.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and thickened. Add half the cheese and the mustard.
- Assemble the lasagne by placing half the vegetables in an ovenproof dish, cover with three sheets of lasagne and top with half the sauce. Repeat layers ending with cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cook for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
The facts you need to know about Cholesterol:
- High cholesterol is invisible, it has no symptoms but is a major risk factor for heart disease.
- One in every two people in England have elevated cholesterol, it’s vital to get checked and keep your heart healthy.
- Do you know your number? Ask your GP or local pharmacist and get checked!!
Find out more about Flora ProActiv at: http://www.floraproactiv.co.uk/.