Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Jumble - a Jammy Crumble Bake Recipe (suitable for vegans!)

I am on a mission to re-invent as many family favourite meals and snacks, making them as healthy as possible and suitable for vegans, so my eldest daughter can enjoy them. Having a plant based diet has so many benefits to your health, your vitality and the to the environment. I have been vegetarian since the year 2000 and although I am not fully committed to a vegan lifestyle, I do enjoy finding ways to cut back on all animal products in my diet, using wholefoods where possible.

I find that desserts and treats can be tricky as many are full of dairy products such as butter, milk and cream. We still enjoy desserts, but want a lighter version that comes cruelty free. I have been experimenting and have come up with a yummy, jammy, nutty, oaty, crumble bake. It is rich and decadent, but completely dairy-free! It is packed with oats and nuts, uses superfood coconut oil and is sweetened with maple syrup.

vegan, dessert

Jumble Recipe


1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup mixed nuts and seeds to add variety 
(I added chia and sunflower seeds and cashews)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons coconut oil
6 tablespoons maple syrup
4 dessertspoons plum jam*


Put nuts and seeds in food processor and blitz until well chopped.
Add oats and spices and baking powder and blitz to mix.
Melt coconut oil and maple syrup in a small pan.
Add to food processor and blitz to mix through.
Press 3/4 of the nutty mix into a 7" round prepared silicon cake tin.
Spoon jam over the top.
Crumble the remaining mix over the top so jam shows through.
Cook in a pre-heated oven at GM5 for about 15 minutes.
Remove and allow to set and cool in the silicon cake tin before slicing into eighths.

cake, jam, dessert

*The jam I received to create a recipe with is made in an Italian monastery using an ancient method and natural ingredients. Available from priced at £4.90 a jar.

jam, monasteries


  1. I can't find coconut oil anywhere in the supermarkets. Is there an alternative I can use?

  2. I imagine a vegan margarine would probably work, but have never tried it myself. Have you tried health food shops for the coconut oil? I get mine from Holland & Barrett. x

  3. Thanks! I will try H & B



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...