The Uplifting Tale Based On a True Life Story
We Bought A Zoo is a heartwarming and uplifting adventure based on the real life story of Benjamin Mee and his family who bought and saved a zoo! Looking for a fresh start for his family following the death of his wife, Mee (Matt Damon) quits his job and buys a run down rural house outside of the city which has the unique bonus feature of also being a zoo. Dozens of rare and beautiful animals reside under the care of zoo-keeper Kelly (Scarlett Johansson) and her dedicated team, but time is running out for them.
With no experience, limited time, the challenges of single parenthood and a hand to mouth budget, Mee sets out to re-open Rosemoor Animal Park to the public. This adventure is a life changing one which helps rebuild the fractured Mee family, bringing hope, healing and purpose to their lives.
Starring a cast of exotic animals, this film is sure to delight the family. Cameron Crowe directs with sensitivity and we share the highs and lows of Mee's journey to save the zoo and have it ready for opening day. A host of problems stand in the way including escaping wild animals, an uncharitable inspector and the weather, but where there's a will there's a way!
We were sent a copy of the film and it proved to be a wonderful watch. My girls and myself shed floods of tears as we experienced Benjamin Mee's life affirming story. Matt Damon's performance was touchingly sensitive and we were rooting for him to succeed in saving the zoo and rebuilding his broken family. The animals are all gorgeous and add to the emotional highs and lows of the film, evoking both tears and laugh out loud moments!
Knowing that this film is based on the real life story of Benjamin Mee who bought and saved Dartmoor Zoo makes it all the more poignant. I was incredibly lucky to be invited along to Dartmoor Zoo to meet the man himself and was given the chance to go behind the scenes and get up close and personal with some of the animals. You can read all about my own amazing zoo adventure here!
Special features on the WE BOUGHT A ZOO Blu-ray include:
- “The Real Mee” Travel to the Dartmoor Zoo for a heartwarming look at the real Benjamin Mee and his incredible family whose actual story inspired "We Bought A Zoo"
- “We Shot a Zoo” Join the cast, crew and animals in this behind-the-scenes documentary chronicling their exciting journey filming "We Bought A Zoo"
- “Their Happy is Too Loud” Director Cameron Crowe joins Composer Jónsi in the recording studio for a never-before-seen look at the making of the music for the film.
- Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy including theatrical film
- Deleted & Extended Scenes
- Gag Reel
- Audio Commentary with Director Cameron Crowe, Star J.B. Smoove and Editor Mark Livolsi
We Bought a Zoo is available on Blu-ray Triple Play and DVD on 16th July, from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment