Google+

Saturday, 21 April 2012

A Tale of Blogging Betrayal

You know that moment?  You make contact with someone new and something magical happens. Energy crackles, hearts race a little.  The tension is palpable, this could lead to something good.  The moment makes you feel special.  There must be something in me that they are attracted to.  My wit, my intelligence, my eloquence, what I have to say?  I start thinking about the future.  This relationship could last.  It could enrich my life.  My confidence is raised. I'm thinking long term.  I succumb to the flattery.  I take that step.  I give myself over to the suggestions. I am seduced by the promise of  things to come.  They tell me it's OK to do it.  I do exactly what they want.  I want to please them.  I trust them.

I thought that what I was doing really mattered to them. But I was naive. Afterwards, I realise I've been duped. I'm not special to them at all. They didn't care about me or what I had to say at all.  I feel violated and cheated.  It wasn't OK after all.  I realise that I have been used and they didn't give a damn about me. They only wanted me for one thing....that one thing was a paid for do-follow text link!

I'll never fall for it again!


6 comments:

  1. I hope you're ok Wendy...I still can't get my head around all that stuff so I'm burying it in the sand instead! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never, ever do Do-follows if you are paid or receive goods in return or you will incur the wrath of Google!!! Change all your review links to no-follow!!! Arghhhhh!!!!! The blogging bubble is bursting!!!!! It is a minefield out there! hehe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want the bubble to have burst! Does this mean an end for our reviews? Nooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something is going to have to change. Let's hope it is for the better! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear Wendy, what happened? did someone complain when you changed a link? I am still hoping that their are good PRs out there who know the reach boggers have without the need for follow links

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing specific! Just the way the PR companies shmoozed us, made us feel like 'real writers' but really just wanted the follow-link. They knew what they were doing. I for one feel quite violated by the fact that they took advantage of our blogs!! The good PRs will understand the importance of our influence and we will get more opportunities, but I'm never falling for the "we love what you do and would love you to write us a piece about our company and could you just pop in this link" spiel again!! It just reminded me of those boys in school who were only after one thing...thus the post!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...