Using cereals from Nestle's delicious Whole Grain products, celebrities such as Zoe Ball, Matt Dawson and Greg Searle along with nutritionist Juliette Kellow have brought us some amazing recipes, showing us the Whole Grain can be added to the diet in a fun way!
Ingredients: Makes 12
200g dark chocolate
Chose a variety of different Nestlé cereals to make your own designs:
Shreddies, you can use a selection of Shreddies to add colour- Coco Shreddies, Frosted Shreddies, Honey Shreddies, Golden Nuggets, Nesquik, Cheerios, Honey Oats and More, Curiously Cinnamon
Glace cherries/ Strawberries
1) Break the dark chocolate into small pieces, and microwavable on medium in 20 seconds blasts, stirring every time, until melted, but not hot.
2) Using the teaspoon, make round pools of chocolate on the prepared baking sheet, and place the wooden skewers into the chocolate, at one end, twisting it to coat it and make secure.
3) While the chocolate is still set, press in your desired cereals to form petals and the flower centres; try to mix up the colours to make pretty coloured flowers.
4) Chill for 10 minutes, until set.
5) Peel the cereal flowers off the greaseproof paper.
6) Push the skewers into the melon to make a pretty centrepiece, or display the flowers by placing them into a glass. (You could fill the glass with pieces of fruit).
The children could let their imagination run riot decorating these flowers and will enjoy eating the end result! It is a fun activity to do with the kids.
The Golden Nuggets Treasure Chest is a crispy and chewy cereal, nut, sultana and dark chocolate treasure chest decorated with whole grain cereal, cherries, nuts, and filled with fresh fruit treasure. It would make an impressive centre piece for a party.
Ingredients (serves 24)
500g dark Chocolate (bars or buttons)
200g raisin oats & More
160g Shreddies, lightly crushed
180g Chopped almonds
180g Sliced Glace Cherries
750g Condensed Milk (2 cans)
30g Golden nuggets
100g dark Chocolate, melted (as glue)
(Cereal fish shapes see below)
Sea Bed: (Optional)
50g raisin oats & More
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place into a microwavable bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium setting in 20 seconds blasts, stirring every time until melted, but do not get it hot.
2. Dividing the melted chocolate into 3 portions, pour it into the prepared trays.
3. Refrigerate until set.
4. Combine the sultanas, cereal, nuts, cherries and milk in a mixing bowl, and mix well.
5. Remove 1 tray from the fridge and spread one third of the mixture evenly over the chocolate using the back of a spoon. repeat with other 2 trays.
6. Bake in moderate oven for 15-20 minutes.
7. Cool, refrigerate until set, and then remove from tins onto a chopping board.
8. To assemble: Cut each slab in half across the shortest side, to make 6 pieces. Cut 1 of these in half, to make the sides of the chest. Using 5 of the pieces makes a lid, a front, a back, and a base all the same size, and 2 smaller side pieces. (6 in total) Cut the remaining piece into fish shapes using a cutter, to decorate the background, or chest.
9. Place the base onto a board and using a line of melted chocolate join the back to the base, repeat until you have attached all 4 sides. You will have to be patient and hold them together until set! Then refrigerate until really firm.
10. Using a teaspoon put a small amount of melted chocolate on to a Golden nugget and attach it to the box. repeat to make a pattern. Repeat using the nesquik. Add cereal fish if you wish. Leave to set firm.
11. Transfer to the serving dish or board and fill with the prepared fruits, and rest the lid on top. (you can fix this on at an angle with a little melted chocolate if you prefer) Surround with cereal seabed (and add fish shapes if not yet used).
Seabed to Serve:
50g Curiously Cinnamon
30g Brown Sugar (for sand)
Selection of fruit - (Photograph
suggestion - red and black grapes,
Take a look at the Team Whole Grain site to find out more about including wholegrain in your family's diet. Look out for the green banner on your favourite Nestle cereals, making them easy to spot ...all Nestle cereals contain whole grain (unfortunately not all other cereals do.)
I am going to be making the Cheerio's Fluffy Sheep with the kids so watch out for the post...coming soon!