Google+

Tuesday, 2 August 2011

The Gallery...Birth

This week's The Gallery prompt is "Birth".  There are so many ways this prompt can be interpreted but I have decided to go literal and a bit medical. (Look away now if you are at all squeamish!)

Freddy was born in July 2009 and we were lucky enough to have the most brilliant midwife.  She was really straightforward and matter of fact...none of the overly sentimental platitudes that some midwives adopt and definitely none of that calling me a "good girl" malarkey *cringes*

She suited my birthing style perfectly and I delivered my 9lb 10 oz baby with no pain relief whatsoever.  Afterwards, we were chatting about how interested my girls were about my pregnancy.  My midwife sprang into action allowing us to video her explaining about the workings of my placenta.  She pulled it all about, demonstrating how it all worked to nourish Freddy during my pregnancy.  She was awesome.

The afterbirth is the forgotten part of the delivery.  It is usually expelled and disposed of without much thought.

Nothing really in pregnancy is more amazing than the organ we create to sustain our unborn child inside us.  The rich network of blood vessels that feeds our baby.  The membrane that holds our unborn baby safe inside.  The umbilical cord that connects mother and child.  It is a forgotten miracle.

I'm not one of those mothers who wanted to eat it or bring it home to give it a Christian burial, but I was humbled, amazed and proud to see what my body had done to give sustenance to my son.  OK it looks like something found in a butcher's shop or possibly a horror film...but it is the giver of life and the enabler of the miracle of birth!

As well as the video, my midwife posed with my placenta for some photographs.  One of which is my Gallery entry for this week.

My Placenta

Pop across to Tara's blog to discover other photos in The Gallery!

15 comments:

  1. I know you said look away but woah!
    You're very right though. The placenta is an underrated essential part of baby making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered being very surprised at how big it was when I saw my first, and how vibrant the colours on the cord were. I don't really remember any it that from my homebirth ( third ), she must have whipped it away quick! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an amazing thing our placenta's yet many women never actually get to see them as they are whisked away - mine certainly worked well with Tala!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost my story, Wendy! My little girl was born on St. George's Day last April and, when my 15 y.o. son entered the delivery room to have a look at his new baby sister, the midwife also told him all about placenta and showed it to him. Did you have Freddie in Oxford, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was born in Shrewsbury. So there are at least two midwives out there that like to go that extra mile to educate the older siblings into the workings of the placenta!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing shot, not because its pretty, because quite frankly its not ;) but what it represents is amazing, it really is a lifegiver and something to be proud of making.

    Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was always interested in my babies' placentas too. DD3 was 11lbs 10 oz when she was born and her placenta wouldn't fit into the receptacle provided. It kept slithering out like some sort of demented slinky! With DS, part of my placenta was left behind and I got very sick from it. I had noticed that the MW didn't check his placenta as thoroughly as his sister's placentas had been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. notyetayummymummy3 August 2011 at 18:48

    Under normal circumstances I would think that was amazing especially the nurse in me, but in my current state my stomach couldn't take it he he x It's quite amazing that something so fragile and flimsy looking holds our precious bundles so safely inside... x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I never even saw mine when it came out. Can't believe how big it is! Amazing, but I will never understand how people can eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done you! but what a great mid wife, I couldn't look at the photo - my midwife asked if I wanted to look at the placenta - like No Way Jose!
    You almost made me look at one, but I was quick with my page scroll *moves forward in life, still avoiding placenta's*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Placentas ain't pretty...your avoidance was wise!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kinda caught sight of both of mine when they were being checked. As amazing as the placenta is, it is still pretty gross to look at! Great that you had a midwife that you clicked with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never having seen a placenta before I was quite shocked when I saw the picture on your blog. You certainly did have a fantastic Midwife who took the time and trouble to explain everything even though I am sure her workload was pretty full. The placenta, after all, is what keeps baby nourished and alive so, as awful as it looks, it is valuable and necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ew placenta is a bit gross looking isn't it? It is truly amazing how it works and I was in awe when I first saw mine. Fantastic take on the theme and lovely post. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got a picture of my placenta too (Jacks) - I was quite shocked at how big it was, I'd never seen the other 2, so I had to get a pic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...