Google+

Monday 23 May 2011

Listography...My Top 5 Albums by a Band

Kate is giving us all the chance of redemption following her previous Listography where we all confessed to our first albums (Oh the shame of the Grease Monkeys!)

We are being given the chance to up our street cred by naming our top 5 albums.  I have eclectic taste that transcends the musical genres so pinning it down to just five albums is tricky...but here is my best shot!

My first choice has to be Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear. I loved  Fish and I'd totally immerse myself in the moody lyrics.  Marillion was the soundtrack of my early teens (the morose soul that I was!!) I loved the long intros and the guitar solos that literally sang to my soul.


My next choice is Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf.  This is the one album I have never stopped listening to.  I love it and sing along with complete abandon, giving it my best rock chick vocals. The whole concept of the album was brilliant and the storyline to the songs are still played out in my head as I listen.  Great stuff!


Echo and the Bunnymen's Ocean Rain was released in 1984 when I was 15 and I listened to it continually.  I loved the whole post-punk era and my black lipstick and nail varnish was testament to this. I picked this album over other faves by The Cure and Bauhaus because of its lush orchestration that I've come to appreciate more over time.  It was a ground breaking album and worthy of a spot in my top 5 for the brilliant title song alone.


My next choice is Prince and the Revolution's Purple Rain.  I absolutely loved this album which was quite out of character for me at the time!  It was my guilty pleasure.  I still think it's a pretty awesome album and I can't help myself for loving it!

My final album is a bit of a cheat because it is not strictly a band album, but Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill had to be in my final five.  God I love this album and have literally played it over and over, sharing her angst with every soul baring lyric.  It's such a shame that she found love and motherhood!  It killed her dark, troubled talent.  'Head Over Feet' was my first dance song at my wedding, the theme to the song fitted so perfectly to our relationship.  Ian still plays it on his guitar for me :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...