Google+

Sunday, 10 April 2011

The Power of Vlogging

My soon to be 15 year old daughter Ella has been teaching me about the joys of vlogging.  She follows a number of Vloggers in the USA.  Her favourite is a tubby, bearded, 30 year old guy called "Wheezy Waiter".  A few years ago, this man was just an asthmatic waiting tables in Wisconsin...now he is an internet phenomenon.  He has over 300,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel and no longer needs to work, living off the proceeds of advertising and merchandising.

How does somebody launch themselves into Cyber Fame?  The opportunities for worldwide exposure have never been greater.  It still astounds me that words I tap out on my keyboard can almost instantly be viewed by readers on the other side of the world.  The world has never been so accessible, the barriers so thin.  So anyone with a unique talent can now potentially reach millions of worldwide fans in a heartbeat.

Celebrities are being launched from the internet platform on an almost daily basis.  The enigma who is Rebecca Black has scored over 95,000,000 hits for Ark Music Factory's annoyingly catchy "Friday".  When you get the formula right, the rewards are unfathomably huge.  If you could bottle whatever it is that causes the phenomena of massive internet success, you would be an overnight billionaire!

So with the Internet as our oyster we never know what opportunities may come our way.  It is an intriguing, miraculous place where dreams can be made or broken.  I feel so fortunate for living in an age where we can ponder the wonders of the World Wide Web....even if it means we are subjected to Rebecca Black's awful song that would never have seen the light of day if it hadn't been for the magic of Cyberspace!

So, for those of you who have not had the pleasure of  seeing Wheezy Waiter, this is how it is done!

7 comments:

  1. Hi! Wow, this guys is good! I've been seeing more and more about vlogging, it's an ace idea. I think I need to lose a little more weight before I'd feel happy to 'star' in my own vlog - and invest in a decent video camera! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I watch regularly is "iJustine". As far as I can tell from all these YouTube celebrities, it's all about eyes, teeth, mugging to the camera and being as dumb as possible. All those abilities used to just belong to children's TV presenters or local news programmes but now everybody is doing it. No wonder the world is in the state it's in right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe how far the "Wheezy Waiter" has come since waiting on tables in Wisconsin. I have to take off my hat to him - he has made me realise that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Wheezy Waiter - I hadn't come across him before so thanks for that link. I don't think I'm abut to star in my own vlog though - I'd have to lose 10lb and 10 years first - but I do enjoy watching other people's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great link. I agree with Preseli Mags am a bit self conscious about being in front of camera but maybe could do it by being the director rather than being on screen...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NomNomNom Wheezy Waiter. You are very welcome mother. :P It really does amaze me actually how someone can go from just being a waiter to have fans from literally EVERYWHERE who love them veryy much. (: I watch Wheezy everyday. xD haha. Because I'm cool like that. (: <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great link. I agree with Preseli Mags am a bit self conscious about being in front of camera but maybe could do it by being the director rather than being on screen...!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...